23 March 2010

I am a fan of Folkert de Jong

When was the last time you went to Groningen? (If you ever!)

My last time, before last week's was maybe more than 10 years ago. The trip to the north paid partly by the Dutch Railway and the Book Week to the very much outdated Groninger Museum -so outdated that starts to look retro- was completely worthwhile.
The German Expressionism exhibition was very big and very nice and it was not even on my plans of the day.

The fashion show of Bernhard Willhelm & Jutta Kraus was kind of a good intro (or was it a contradiction?) to Folkert de Jong's impressive works.
Beforehand I thought this was one of the best shows I've seen on photos (thanks to my blogger friends) but being there convinced me that this is an extraordinary show.

His sculptures are cruel, crude, they are fragile but I am sure they are very light. The last years he had introduced a lot of color and complexity on his works and it makes them even more fascinating.

I was also surprised by the drawings that even though made with pen they have a warm quality even within the scarcity of variation in color. The compositions are fresh and intriguing.
In other words, do not miss this show.
Last day 11 of April!











Also Whatspace, Trendbeheer, Kunstbeeld

No comments: