23 January 2009

Gerard Fieret (1924-2009)

Gerard Fieret passed away.

NRC.

A very good drawing of his made by another artist and shown in the Autumn at HKK.

I first knew Gerard Fieret as a neighbor, a special one. He used to live not so far from my home at a house that was not in "livable" conditions as the local government would describe. The doves flew freely there. I saw him often, just as on the third photo, with two big white buckets full of food for his beloved doves. He will feed them everyday and rumors said he spend all his money on them. From all the years I saw him, he looked as someone 'on the edge' of the society.
One day, some one told me he was an artist, a photographer, writer. His drawings on cartons were collected by other visitors to 'his' Haagse Kunstkring (HKK) cafe. His photos were strange and mainly with women faces taken years before I lived in The Hague.
He was a singular man, a singular artist who lived under his own rules. We will miss his singular presence.

Gerard Fieret will be buried Wednesday at St. Barbara Cemetery, Sint Barbaraweg 6, The Hague (12.00 uur).
AD article, the only Googled one.

Article. Article.

No comments: